Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cafe Rio in Fremont?!?

Ya, that's right.... I ate Cafe Rio from the comfort of my own home last night - The clone recipe is pretty dang good! Thought I'd share.

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork:

Pork - the rib meat kind. (I think it shredds easier)
Pepsi - a couple cans
Brown Sugar - I used 1/2 Cup, and thought it was just right.
Salsa - about 2 Cups
Green Chili's - 1 little can
Garlic - 1-2 cloves minced

Most people said they marinated their pork overnight in the mixture, then cooked it in a crock pot for 5-8 hours. This recipe was an afterthought for me, and I had already started cooking my meat, so I just added the last ingredients when it had about 3 hours left, and simmered. Tasted good to me!

Cilantro Lime Rice:
Rice - 1 C (uncooked)
Chicken Broth - 1 Can
Water - 1 and 1/4 C.
Butter/ Margarine - 1 tsp.
Garlic - 2 cloves minced
Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
In a small bowl, mix:
1 tsp. Lime zest
2 tsp. Sugar
Freshly squeezed Lime juice (about 1 lime)
2 Tbsp. Chopped Cilantro (be generous with the Cilantro)
When Rice has finished cooking, pour lime juice mixture over it - serve immediately.

Black Beans:
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 tsp. cumin
1 and 1/2 tsp. olive oil
Saute garlic and cumin in olive oil until you can smell it.
Add:
Black Beans - 2 -15 oz. cans - Drained and Rinsed
1 and 1/3 C. Tomoatoe Juice
1 tsp. Salt (I though the beans were a little too salty - so you may want to just salt it to taste.)
After that's boiled for a few minutes, and just before serving -
Stir in 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro (Again - be generous with the Cilantro)

Pile ingredients high in your favorite tort. (If you're lucky enough to live by a Costco they have yummy flour torts that are big - like Cafe Rio's. Since I'm not so lucky, and live in God's Country instead, I just used some Mexican looking torts I found at good 'ol Royal's Foodtown!)
*Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kaylin said...

Ok so how long did this dinner take to prepare because I only have like 1 hour to prepare dinner and this looks like it took all day! You go Trina...